Language:   asd  asd
     
Information Picture Gallery Location Map
 
         
Palo Metropolitan Cathedral
The Palo Metropolitan Cathedral was constructed on 1596 under the direction of the Jesuits who founded Palo and also used for some time as thier residence. Eventually this was taken over by the Augustinians on 1768 and by the Franciscans on 1843. Although the Augustinians were the first to spread Catholicism in the place, the construction was spreaded by Jesuits, Fathers Juan del Campo and Alonso de Humanes who taught the few inhabitants with the Gospel and later baptized, taught the children to read and write, pray the rosary, sing hymns and play the flute. Later, another Jesuit became a permanent Parish Priest who was instrumental in bringing together as a community the baptized natives and Father Humanes. He became success-
ful in this work that he was able to convert more pagans to the catholic faith. By 1600, Palo had become a central missionary station with the jurisdiction over the missions of Dagami, Malaguicay, Malirong and Banabon. The catherdral was repaired by Fr. Augustin built the two towers on 1850. Fr. Pantaleon dela Fuente added new features from the money he won from a lottery in Spain, he then installed a clock on the façade on 1896. This was also proclaimed a catheral on the 25th of March, 1938. Msgr. Manuel Mascariñas, first bishop.
 
The Cathedral was also converted into an evacuation hospital by the American Liberation Forces and refuge of civilians during World War IIon October, 1944 to March, 1945. The gold plated altar is a sample of a modern gothic church architechture with the gold plated 17th century altar as the main attraction. The stations of the cross were then carved by local artists. Inside the patio of this church is an open esplande which used to be the people's who rendezvous when escaping from marauding moros centuries ago. In the aperture on the Spanish walls is an insignia of the Jesuit Order, indicating that the Cathedral and the walls were built by the Jesuits.
 
Cathedral converted into evacuation center. During World War II
 
Palo is known to be one of the most historical towns of Leyte. The municipality of Palo is considered as the seat of Catholicism of the province of Leyte. Offices of the ecclesiastical government of Archdiocese of Palo, the archbishop's residence, as well as the secondary, tertiary and theology seminaries of the archdiocese are all located in Palo.
 
Palo Metropolitan Cathedral © Copyright @ Tarantula 2008 - Webmaster